A perfect winter recipe, this egg stew is a local spicy favorite from Andhra, the spice capital of India. Vegans can substitute eggs with firm tofu. This recipe makes 7 servings.
Calories: 220 calories / serving
- 7 Free -range low cholesterol eggs
- 250 ml trim / low-fat coconut milk (Ayam brand used in this recipe)
- 50g Large peanuts
- 25 g Raw cashews
- 2 Plum tomatoes
- 2 Green chilies slit
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Rice bran oil
- 1 inch Old ginger (grated)
- 1 clove Garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Seasoning Mix: Cumin, Nigella seeds (Kalonji), Aniseed (Saunf), Fenugreek (Methi seeds)
- 2 tsp Low sodium salt
- Heat water in a large saucepan to hard-boil eggs for 12 minutes. Peel the eggs once cooled.
- Dry roast the peanuts, cashews, coriander powder and whole cumin seeds until the mix releases a nutty aroma. Cool and pulse in a food processor with 2 tbsp of water to make a thick paste.
- In a deep saucepan, heat the oil and add the seasoning mix. Wait until it crackles.
- Now add the grated ginger, chopped garlic, slit green chilies and turmeric. Once cooked, add the red onion, garam masala and stir fry till golden brown.
- Next, add in the chopped plum tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes are fully cooked and reduced.
- To the reduced mix, add the peanut – cashew paste and cook until it bubbles.
- Finally add the salt and coconut milk and bring it to a simmer.
- Add the boiled eggs and cook on a low flame for 7-10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander/ cilantro.
- Serve hot with Chapatti, Naan or steamed rice.