Inspired by Nigella Lawson’s Venetian Carrot Cake. Contains no alcohol, dairy-free and eggs can be substituted for vegans. This recipe makes 10 servings.
Calories: 364 calories / serving
- 250 g organic carrots
- 250g ground almonds / almond meal
- 125 ml olive oil
- 120 gm soft brown sugar
- 5 Medjool Dates
- 1 tsp Madagascar vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Pine Nuts
- 3 free range eggs *(Substitute eggs with 1 tbsp of milled chia with 3 tbsp water for each egg)
- 5 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ Mandarin orange, zest and finely grated and juiced
- Preheat Oven to 180◦ Line a 9 inch round spring form pan with baking parchment and spray some olive oil
- Add the pine nuts to a small dry pan and toast them over low heat till golden brown
- Peel and grate carrots in a food processor and wrap them in paper towels to soak up the excess liquid
- Whisk sugar, olive oil, egg yolks , nutmeg, vanilla extract until creamy and smooth.
- Fold in the almond meal, grated carrots and whisked egg whites. Finally add in the orange zest and the juice.
- If you are substituting eggs add 3 tbsp of milled chia with 9 tbsp of water to make a gel. Add the gel into the sugar before the flour is combined.
- Pour the mixture into the lined cake tin and smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Top with the roasted pine nuts and bake for 30 minutes.
- Test with a toothpick if the cake is done (should be clean with no flour sticking to it).
- Cool and serve in 10 minutes with Indian Chai or vanilla bean ice cream