Organic Carrot Halwa
This dessert recipe makes 8 portions
- 1 kg organic carrots
- 20g low-fat Butter/ Margarine (Lurpak used in this recipe)
- 50g Demerera brown sugar
- 100g sliced almonds
- 10 cardamoms pods
- 50 ml low-fat milk
- Other dry fruits for garnish (optional)
- Grate the carrots preferably in a food processor.
- Peel cardamom pods and coarsely crush the spice using a mortar and pestle.
- Melt butter in a deep pan till simmering hot and stir in the crushed cardamoms.
- Once the aroma from the cardamoms is released add the sliced almonds and fry till they are light brown.
- Now add in the grated carrots & sugar and stir till combined well.
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Once the carrots change colour to deep orange, add in the low-fat milk and cook till the milk is fully absorbed.
- Cool in a glass bowl and garnish with almonds, pistachios or other dry fruits.
- Serve hot or cold as dessert.