Beetroot Quinoa Oats Burgers with Tomato Chili Jam
Makes 10 Medium Patties
• 4 cups shredded beets (about 3 medium beets)
• 1 cup cooked quinoa (Red quinoa preferable)
• 1 cup Instant rolled oats (e.g. Quaker)
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 5 Spring onions : Finely chopped
• Salt + Pepper to taste
• 2 Egg whites (Optional)
• Baby Butter head lettuce (One small)
• Parmesan, Cherry tomatoes for Topping
• Olive oil to stir fry
• Whole wheat Buns
1. Grate beets in a food processor.
2. Stir fry the spring onions and garlic, until golden brown, and add in the grated beets and season with salt & pepper. Let cool for 15 minutes.
3. Combine with one cup of strained cooked quinoa (1 cup quinoa: 2 cups of water while cooking) and one cup of oats, Egg white and mix gently.
4. Make flat patties adding more oats to coat / bind if necessary.
5. Shallow fry the patties in olive oil on a non stick pan till sizzling and browned.
6. Slice and toast whole wheat buns. Layer the buns with butter head lettuce, Tomato Chili Jam, parmesan cheese, cooked patty and its ready to eat.
Tomato Chili Jam
2 tsp cumin seeds/ cumin powder
750g ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
2 onions, finely chopped
2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
2 large red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
300g soft light brown sugar
2 tablespoons tamarind paste
Olive oil to fry
1. Roast the cumin seeds in a small frying pan over low heat for 1 minute, and then crush
2. Put the tomatoes and onions in a wide pan with the garlic, chillies and olive Oil. Add the spices, sugar and tamarind paste. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until reduced to a jam-like consistency.
3. Seal the jars while hot, then allow to cool completely before labelling and storing. Tastes fantastic with cheese and home-made biscuits.